06 August 2012

Dear Pat Robertson

Dear Mr. Robertson,


Your comments on the 700 Club today led me to raise an eyebrow. Actually, that would be putting it mildly.

Today on the 700 Club, Pat Robertson said that “Satanic” atheists were to blame for the shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin. Robertson claimed that “people who are atheists, they hate God, they hate the expression of God,” and are responsible for the massacre, which was committed by a white supremacist. “They’re angry with the world, angry with themselves, angry with society and they take it out on innocent people who are worshiping God,” Robertson continued. He recommended that people “talk about the love of God and hope it has some impact” to stop violence.

Here's the deal, Pat (can I call you Pat?).  I don't hate god.  It is impossible for me to hate something that doesn't exist, and that monster you think lives in the sky certainly meets that criteria.  Additionally, I don't hate life.  My atheism actually leads me to value my life far more than I think you ever can.  I don't think that my few decades here on earth are part of some elaborate, diabolical test to decide how loyal to a totalitarian dictator I can be.  Because of that, every relationship I have, every experience I undergo, and every intellectual pursuit I enjoy I hold that much more dear because I know how finite and precious they really are.

The only thing about the world that I'm angry about is how I'm constantly maligned by you and your fellow believers.  I'm angry about how you demand that I give your intellectual ideas inordinate respect, attempting to place it beyond intellectual examination and thus providing extremists, the very monsters in our midst, with intellectual top-cover.

So, Mr. Robertson, you can do one thing: piss off.  I'm not angry at anyone, frankly, but you, because you're the most deserving of it.

No comments: